28 May 2017

Bavarians circa 1809 - Part 2 - Experimenting with cornflower blue


I have been messing around with various blues from the Vallejo range to work out what I would like to best represent my Bavarian Cornflower Blue.

The figure on the left has been worked with the left half as you view it being Vallejo 963 as a base, then Vallejo 841 as a mid tone, and finally Vallejo 844. while the right side started with Vallejo 962 but had the same mid and highlight applied. I liked the left but the steps are a bit harsh.whereas the right half came out more subtly but too bright for my taste.

So the figure on the right was next painting the jacket with Vallejo 841, followed by 844 and finally 961 and was far too bright. now realising that the previous figure got me near I then started this one with the same base coats one on each leg although I based the left leg as you view it  in 962 and the right leg in 963, before mixing a 50/50 mix of base and mid tones mentioned before, a much better transition, and I then used the appropriate mid tone and highlight as before. I thought both of these looked much better, so much so I was a little undecided as to which I preferred. I left him to sit in my view for a couple of days and I was always drawn to the right leg as its viewed.

I then took another figure using the combination I preferred and gave him a quick paint job in the guise of a Bavarian uniform. The central figure in this group is the result. I am happy with the shading albeit a rough paint job I can see this will work nicely and when I paint properly will give a pleasing shade of Cornflower blue.

The final recipe is:
Base Coat Vallejo 963 Medium Blue
1st Highlight Vallejo 963 Medium Blue mixed 50/50 with Vallejo 841 Andrea blue
2nd highlight Vallejo 841 Andrea Blue
3rd highlight Vallejo 844 Deep Sky Blue (only on high spots and heavy wear areas)



The result of my recipe is shown above, I am very happy how the figure turned out. The picture makes it look a bit brighter than in real life, a result of bright lighting in the photo booth. However this is where the project stops for a bit while I await some paint and other supplies that are on order.

Regards
Loki

23 May 2017

Bavarians circa 1809 - Part 1

If you have been reading the last couple of posts you will have gleaned the fact I am going to undertake a very large project, and build myself a full Bavarian Corp. I now have the first batch of lead in my grubby hands and have started the project by getting them organised.

I have chosen to field them under the French organisation of 6 companies, my research has concluded that they were already well under way reorganising to this system in 1809. Which in turn makes the arrangement of figures easier and with a few changes to some units they will also work into 1812 without too much issue if I so choose.

I will start with building Crown Prince Ludwig of Bavaria's Division first and naturally start with the first brigade in that division.


So I have almost the full amount of lead for the complete 1st Brigade shown above.


The light battalion is present in the foreground above, minus 4 figures at present. I have chosen to put a mounted officer on these, to somewhat make up for the fact they carried no standards and to further distinguish them from the line units. I will also compose these battalions in either all breeches and gaiters or all overall trousers.


The Foundry officer packs come with 2 versions of foot officers doubled up so they make a natural candidate for a distinction between 1st and 2nd battalions. Above is how I plan to organise 1st battalions. An issue comes from the separate command packs, drummer, sapper, standard bearer and hornist doubled up means I will end up with a fair number of hornists left at the end of the project as I wont be using these in the line battalions. I will be adding some green stuff changes to the sappers of the first battalions, converting the fanion pole to an axe for added variety.


The 2nd battalions above will be distinguished by the previously mentioned officer and the fact that I will leave the sappers carrying a fanion, I have chosen to go with a mix of figures wearing  breeches and gaiters, and overalls for both battalions of each regiment.

That is me done for this post, all I need to do next is gather some painting sundries and experiment with a nice shade of blue.

Loki
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...