23 May 2017

Bavarians circa 1809 - Part 1

If you have been reading the last couple of posts you will have gleaned the fact I am going to undertake a very large project, and build myself a full Bavarian Corp. I now have the first batch of lead in my grubby hands and have started the project by getting them organised.

I have chosen to field them under the French organisation of 6 companies, my research has concluded that they were already well under way reorganising to this system in 1809. Which in turn makes the arrangement of figures easier and with a few changes to some units they will also work into 1812 without too much issue if I so choose.

I will start with building Crown Prince Ludwig of Bavaria's Division first and naturally start with the first brigade in that division.


So I have almost the full amount of lead for the complete 1st Brigade shown above.


The light battalion is present in the foreground above, minus 4 figures at present. I have chosen to put a mounted officer on these, to somewhat make up for the fact they carried no standards and to further distinguish them from the line units. I will also compose these battalions in either all breeches and gaiters or all overall trousers.


The Foundry officer packs come with 2 versions of foot officers doubled up so they make a natural candidate for a distinction between 1st and 2nd battalions. Above is how I plan to organise 1st battalions. An issue comes from the separate command packs, drummer, sapper, standard bearer and hornist doubled up means I will end up with a fair number of hornists left at the end of the project as I wont be using these in the line battalions. I will be adding some green stuff changes to the sappers of the first battalions, converting the fanion pole to an axe for added variety.


The 2nd battalions above will be distinguished by the previously mentioned officer and the fact that I will leave the sappers carrying a fanion, I have chosen to go with a mix of figures wearing  breeches and gaiters, and overalls for both battalions of each regiment.

That is me done for this post, all I need to do next is gather some painting sundries and experiment with a nice shade of blue.

Loki

6 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing this develope marra good luck with the project 😉.
    Regards Gav .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already a marvellous sight and there isn't any paint on them yet - best of luck Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive project - looking forward to see them painted ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most impressive Andrew, most impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Bavarians, looking forward to seeing these guys with some paint on.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...